Temporary License for Charitable Purpose shall confine the dentist’s practice to voluntary charity care; Practice only in a geographic area specified by the license; Practice only for the period specified by the license; A dentist holding a Temporary License for Charitable Purpose maintains the license where charitable services are provided; and A dentist issued a license for charitable purpose shall not administer any form of anesthesia, other than local, without obtaining the proper permit from the TSBDE.
- Provide TSBDE a procedures for:
- Emergency care for patients and reporting to the TSBDE in compliance with TSBDE Rule §108.6 (relating to Report of Patient Death or Injury Requiring Hospitalization);
- Continued dental care for patients in compliance with TSBDE Rule §108.5 (relating to Patient Abandonment); and
- Maintenance of patient records in compliance with TSBDE Rule §108.8 (relating to Records of the Dentist)
Qualifications for Temporary Licensure
The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) shall grant temporary license for a dentist who presents proof that the applicant:
- Has not been the subject of a final disciplinary action and is not the subject of a pending disciplinary action in any jurisdiction in which the dentist is or has been licensed;
- Has graduated and received either the “DDS” or “DMD” degree from a dental school accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association;
- Has taken and passed the examination for dentists given by the American Dental Association Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations; and
- Either one of the following:
- Is currently licensed in another state, the District of Columbia, or a territory of the United States, provided that such licensure followed successful completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by another state or regional examining board; or
- Was previously licensed in another state, the District of Columbia, or a territory of the United States, provided that such licensure followed successful completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by another state or regional examining board, not more than two years before the date the dentist applies for a license under this section and was licensed in good standing at the time the dentist ceased practicing dentistry.
Application and Supporting Documentation
Must be mailed to TSBDE
- Dentist Temporary Licensure for Charitable Purpose Application.
- Verification of Licensure from each state in which a license has been held that includes a statement indicating if disciplinary action has/has not been taken against the license. (A copy of the license will not be accepted.)
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- American Association of Dental Boards (AADB) Clearinghouse Self-Query. Applicants are required to complete a self-query of the AADB Clearinghouse. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. The AADB self-query form can be downloaded from the AADB website at http://dentalboards.org/clearinghouse/. The AADB self-query form should be mailed to: American Association of Dental Boards, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 760, Chicago, IL 60611.
The TSBDE shall take disciplinary action against a dentist licensed under this section for a violation of this section or TSBDE rules in the same manner as against a dentist licensed under Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 256, Subchapter A.