The Nitrous Oxide Monitoring certificate is an optional certificate for registered dental hygienists and registered dental assistants to be able to monitor patients receiving nitrous oxide/oxygen inhalation conscious sedation under the direct supervision of a Texas licensed dentist.
An applicant must have completed a minimum of 8 hours of didactic education and testing in monitoring the administration of nitrous oxide taken through a CODA-accredited dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting program, approved by the TSBDE. The course taken to satisfy the requirements is valid for five (5) years from the date of course completion for certification purposes.
Board Approved Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Courses
Application & Supporting Documents
Must be mailed to TSBDE at 333 Guadalupe Street, Tower 3 Suite 800, Austin, Texas 78701
Completed application and fee. Active Duty Military, Veterans and Military Spouses are not required to pay an application fee.
- 1- 2×2 passport photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- Be sized correctly
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Copy of your board approved NOM course completion document
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query Report. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You may contact the NPDB at (800) 767-6732 or at http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses applying using their military credentials along with all supporting documents are required to submit a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Application for Dental Hygienists AND Dental Assistants:
Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than four (4) weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Applications are processed in the order received. If you mailed in your application and fee, your payment will be processed before your application is reviewed. The estimated processing turnaround time is 3-4 weeks. Applicants with a criminal history or disciplinary action may expect a longer processing time.
An incomplete application will delay your process and will be returned to the applicant. It will not be processed until all items have been received, with the only exception being the fingerprint receipt. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to ensure no required documents have expired during this process.
If you change your address after submitting your application, email the Licensing division at email@example.com immediately and provide your full name, the type of application you mailed to the TSBDE, the last four (4) numbers of your Social Security Number along with your new mailing address.
You may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
Notification of Work Address or Changes of Address
- A licensee is required to notify the TSBDE of any change of address within 60 days. This includes a work address or mailing Address. Changes may be emailed to the Licensing division at firstname.lastname@example.org provide your full name, license or registration type, the last four (4) numbers of your Social Security Number, and your new mailing address.
- or you may mail your new information to the TSBDE using the change of address form