Registered Dental Assistant Renewal (RDA) Instructions
RDAs of are required to renew their registration biennially and no later than midnight on the day the license is due to expire, in order to maintain the right to practice. Renewal postcard reminders are mailed out 60 days prior to the license expiration date, to the mailing address on file.
As of September 01, 2021, TSBDE will no longer mail out renewal certificates. Licensees may now obtain a copy of their current license from the website. Click here for more information.
At a minimum, licensees are required to have completed the following prior to submitting a license renewal application;
- Pay the required application fee,
- Complete the required number of continuing education hours – 12 hours of which 6 must be clinical continuing education and as part of the 12-hour requirement, a course in human trafficking prevention approved by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission must be completed. Click here for a list of approved courses.
- hold a current basic life support (BLS) CPR certification from the American Heart Association of the American Red Cross, and
- If applicable, a licensee must also be in good standing with the Office of The Attorney General’s Office for Child Support and with the TSBDE Compliance Department.
TSBDE recommends that licensees create an account via the Online Licensing System for renewing or maintaining a license/registration.
Any questions or requests for a renewal form to be emailed should be directed to the Licensing Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have already created an account, Log on to your account, from the “Quick Start Menu” under “It’s Time to Renew” click on “Select” next to your RDA number and proceed through the online renewal application. After submitting your application, a copy of your application summary and online payment receipt will be emailed to you. Note: License expiration dates are updated on the TSBDE website the next business day and can be verified in the Licensee Search.
If you searched your license and notice it was not updated the next business day, you may have one or more of the following deficiencies:
- Expired CPR – When asked whether you hold a current BLS CPR certification, you answered, “Yes” but provided information of an expired certification.
- Office of the Attorney General (OAG) Child Support hold
- Continuing Education (CE) Audit – You may have been selected to submit proof of the required number of continuing education hours. Please sign up https://portal.esslearning.com/tsbde
If you have not used the Online Licensing System, you will need to create an online account before you renew. You will need the following:
- An active email account,
- Your RDA Registration Number,
- Your Social Security Number,
- Your Date of Birth, and
- Your Zip Code.
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! Allow sufficient time for delays if assistance is needed with the process!
Link to a list of Common Online Errors: Click here.
Having problems logging on/technical support: Click here. Allow 2-3 business days for a response and be sure to clearly explain the issue you are having.
If you have difficulty with making your processing your payment online contact Texas.gov (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) toll free at 1-800-399-2969.
If you are unable to renew online using the Online Licensing System, you may request that a paper renewal application be mailed to you here. Include in the subject line, “License Renewal.”
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a grace period for renewing? No. A penalty will be added to your renewal fee if you are 1-90 days past due. A second penalty will be added to your renewal fee if you are 91-365 days late.
- Do I have to complete a FP background check for renewal? No. Currently, fingerprint background checks are being conducted for new registrations only.
- Do I have to complete Continuing Education before I renew my RDA? Yes, once your RDA application has been approved and a registration number has been issued, you must begin taking continuing education hours prior to your renewal.
- Does my CPR Card need to be current to renew my RDA? Yes. You must have completed a current hands-on course in basic life support. Online courses are not acceptable.
- Can a cancelled RDA registration be renewed? No. You must reapply for a new RDA registration. As well as meet all the current requirements. Click HERE for further instructions.
- Where or how can I get more information on where to sign up for continuing education courses? TSBDE does not approve nor do we solicit CE courses. You may contact an approved provider found HERE for more information on the courses they provide.
- How do I know if a CE course is approved by the board? First, you will need to be sure that the instructor providing the course is on the TSBDE list of approved providers. The list can be found HERE.
- How many of the 12 hours required have to be taken in person or via a live interactive webinar? Six (6) hours are required to be taken in person or via a live interactive webinar.
- I have been selected for a CE Audit, how do I submit the completion certificates? If you have received an email or letter stating you have been selected for a CE audit, you need to submit your proof eSS. Click HERE. Once you have submitted your audit, TSBDE staff will be notified and your audit will be reviewed.