If you are currently licensed and have been in practice in another state for the two years preceding the date of application, you may obtain a new license without reexamination.
Applicants must mail the following documents to the TSBDE:
- Submit a fully completed application. Submitting an incomplete application will delay your application process.
- Application Fee. Military Active Duty, Veterans or Military Active Duty Spouses do not pay a fee.
- A 2×2 passport photo.
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Official school transcript showing proof of graduation from a Commission on Dental Accreditation-accredited (CODA) dental school.
- Proof of successful completion of National Boards Parts I and II. Original Scores are required.
- Proof of completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by one of the following:
- Western Regional Examining Board (WREB)
- Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS)
- Council on Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA)
- Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA)
- Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA)
- Proof of completion of TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment for dentists without sedation within one year immediately prior to application.
- Proof of active practice within the last two years. Document must be prepared and signed by former employer or a credible source that can verify practice and should clearly state that you are currently in practice. A contact telephone number should be included for independent verification. Proof of clinical practice is required. Submit a completed clinical practice affidavit form. This form cannot be completed by the applicant. You may download the Clinical Affidavit Form by clicking here: Clinical Affidavit 2021.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query Report. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at (800) 767-6732 or visit their website at http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- Military Active Duty, Veterans or Military Active Duty Spouses must provide either a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, a Military Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
- A Verification of Licensure, including any and all disciplinary action issued by the board of dental examiners with a raised seal, from all states where the applicant has ever been licensed, or is currently licensed to practice dentistry or dental hygiene. This only applies to dental professionals who have held a license in another state/jurisdiction. A copy of the license alone is not acceptable.
- Beginning October 1, 2021, applicants applying for licensure or registration with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) must complete a course in human trafficking prevention approved by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and submit proof of completion with their application. This will be in addition to all required documentation that needs to be submitted to the TSBDE. For information on where to find approved courses, please click here.
Once the completed application has been received, staff will email the instructions on scheduling a fingerprint session with IdentoGO. Once the applicant has completed their fingerprint session, the applicant will need to email a copy of their fingerprint receipt to Licensinghelp@tsbde.texas.gov and include their full name and date of birth.
Two-Step Application and Payment Process
Step 1. Apply By Mail.
All applicants must mail a copy of their application and required documents to the TSBDE.
Step 2. Initial Renewal Process (License Activation)
- The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued.
- You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your pro-rated Initial Renewal Fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later.
- Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18 months to 30 months. You will receive a reminder post card approximately 45 days prior to your license expiration date.
Designation of Records
This form is to be used by the licensed Texas dentist to designate a custodian of records upon initial licensure and at each renewal period. Dental records are the sole property of the dentist who performs the dental service, unless otherwise designated per Board rules. Please provide the following information to appropriately designate ownership of records and appointment of a custodian, if necessary. Upon completion of the form, you may email it to email@example.com.
- Anesthesia Permits – Dentists must be issued a Texas Dental License before an Application for an Anesthesia Permit can be processed.
- Change of Address – Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement – CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.