Must have been licensed in Texas, moved to another state, and is currently licensed and has been in practice in the other state for two years preceding the date of application, may obtain a new license without reexamination.
Applicants must mail the following documents to the TSBDE:
- Application for Licensure by Examination.
- Application Fee. Active Duty Military, Veterans, Active Duty Military Spouses do not pay an application fee.
- Official school transcript showing proof of graduation from a Commission on Dental Accreditation-accredited (CODA) dental hygiene school.
- Proof of completion of a dental hygiene clinical examination administered by the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) or Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS) or Council on Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA) or Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA) or Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA).
- Proof of completion of Dental Hygiene National Board. TSBDE will electronically validate scores that have been made available to Texas.
- Proof of completion of TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment within one year immediately prior to application. (Required Fee)
- Proof of active practice within the last two years. Document must be prepared and signed by former employer or a credible source that can verify practice and should clearly state that you are currently in practice. A contact telephone number should be included for independent verification. Proof of clinical practice is required. Submit a completed clinical practice affidavit form. This form cannot be completed by the applicant. You may download the Clinical Affidavit Form by clicking here: Clinical Affidavit 2021.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. NPDB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- A Verification of Licensure, including any and all disciplinary action issued by the board of dental examiners with a raised seal, from all states where the applicant has ever been licensed, or is currently licensed to practice dentistry or dental hygiene. This only applies to dental professionals who have held a license in another state/jurisdiction. A copy of the license alone is not acceptable.
- Proof of current Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
- Copy of birth certificate, naturalization papers, or passport showing date of birth.
- 2×2 Passport Photo (Photocopies will not be accepted)
- Military Active Duty, Veterans, Active Duty Military Spouses must provide a copy of their Military Orders or Military I.D. Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
- Proof of the Health and Human Services (HHS) approved Human Trafficking Course completion certificate.
- Beginning October 1, 2021, applicants applying for licensure or registration with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) must complete a course in human trafficking prevention approved by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and submit proof of completion with their application. This will be in addition to all required documentation that needs to be submitted to the TSBDE. For information on where to find approved courses, please click here.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
The status of your license will be “Expired” after it is first issued.
You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your pro-rated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later.
Exception: Active duty military, veterans and active duty military spouses are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18 months to 30 months. A reminder post card will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 45 days prior to your license expiration date.
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.