The TSBDE may reinstate a retired Texas dental license to active status, provided the license holder submits an Application for Reinstatement of a Retired License and pays the appropriate fees due at the time of application.
Application and Supporting Document Requirements
The following documents must be completed and mailed to the TSBDE:
- Reinstatement of a Retired License Application.
- Required application fee. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and Active Duty Military Spouses do not pay an application fee.
- A Verification of Licensure, including any and all disciplinary action issued by the board of dental examiners with a raised seal, from all states where the applicant has ever been licensed, or is currently licensed to practice dentistry or dental hygiene. This only applies to dental professionals who have held a license in another state/jurisdiction. A copy of the license alone is not acceptable.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. NPDB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- Proof of completion of TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment for dentists without sedation within one year immediately prior to application.
- Proof of completion of Continuing Education (CE) in accordance with TSBDE Rule 104.1:
- 12 hours for applicants who have practiced in the last two years.
- 24 hours for applicants who have not practiced within the last two years.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Proof of the Health and Human Services (HHS) approved Human Trafficking Course completion certificate.
- Beginning October 1, 2021, applicants applying for licensure or registration with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) must complete a course in human trafficking prevention approved by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and submit proof of completion with their application. This will be in addition to all required documentation that needs to be submitted to the TSBDE. For information on where to find approved courses, please click here.
Once the completed application has been received, staff will email the instructions on scheduling a fingerprint session with IdentoGO. Once the applicant has completed their fingerprint session, the applicant will need to email a copy of their fingerprint receipt to Licensinghelp@tsbde.texas.gov and include their full name and date of birth.
Initial Renewal (Application Activation) Process
Paying to Activate Your License.
- The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued.
- You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your pro-rated Initial Renewal Fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later.
Exception: Active duty military, veterans and active duty military spouses are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18 months to 30 months. You will receive a reminder post card approximately 45 days prior to your license expiration date.
Designation of Records
This form is to be used by the licensed Texas dentist to designate a custodian of records upon initial licensure and at each renewal period. Dental records are the sole property of the dentist who performs the dental service, unless otherwise designated per Board rules. Please provide the following information to appropriately designate ownership of records and appointment of a custodian, if necessary. Upon completion of the form, you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anesthesia Permits: Dentists must hold an active Texas Dental License before an Application for an Anesthesia Permit can be processed.
- Change of Address: Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement: CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.