SBDE will issue a license to a dental school faculty member that provides direct patient care, upon payment of a fee in an amount set by the Board, who meets all the following criteria:
- Has graduated from a dental hygiene school;
- Holds a full-time or part-time salaried faculty position at a dental or dental hygiene school accredited by the Commision on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association;
- Obtains endorsement of the application from the Dean, Department Chair, or Program Director of the employer-school
Please note: October 2020 is the most current version of the paper application. No other applications will be accepted. Submitting an outdated application will only delay the process.
Application and Supporting Document Requirements
Must be mailed to TSBDE:
- The Dental Hygiene Faculty Member application and fee
- Diploma from a dental hygiene school. (Copy is not acceptable) Official school transcript showing proof of graduation from a dental hygiene school.
- Endorsement from the Dean, Department Chair or Program Director of the employer-school verifying full-time or part-time salaried faculty position at a CODA-accredited dental hygiene school.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- Completion of the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment dated within one year immediately prior to application for licensure. Fee Required.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification, must include a hands-on demonstration of skills
- Copy of driver’s license, passport, or naturalization papers.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses are required to submit a paper application along with the above supplemental documents. Applicants are also required to submit a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing once the TSBDE has received a completed application. Incomplete applications will delay the process. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than 4 weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an approval letter via the U.S. mail advising you of the license activation process.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued. You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your prorated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later. Exception: Military applicants are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Register for a secure online account. If account exists, simply log-in.
- User ID (email) – use a personal email address (not assigned by college)
- Receive a temporary password from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Log-in with temporary password and choose a permanent password (write down the user id and password)
Be sure you have your license number before proceeding to the next step. If you have not received your approval letter in the mail, you may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
- From the Quick Start Menu, select ⇢ Update Profile →Add Licenses
- Complete the application; submit fees with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express. Application and payment summaries will be emailed to you along with the required fingerprint information session.
Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18- 30 months. A renewal postcard reminder will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 60 days prior to your license expiration date.
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.