Dentist Renewal Instructions
Licensees are required to renew their licenses biennially and no later than midnight on the day the license is due to expire, in order to maintain the right to practice. Renewal postcard reminders are mailed out 60 days prior to the license expiration date, to the mailing address on file.
As of September 01, 2021, TSBDE will no longer mail out renewal certificates. Licensees may now obtain a copy of their current license from the website. Click here for more information.
At a minimum, licensees are required to have completed the following prior to submitting a license renewal application;
- Pay the required application fee,
- Complete the required number of continuing education hours,
- hold a current basic life support (BLS) CPR certification from the American Heart Association of the American Red Cross,
- have taken and passed the correct Jurisprudence Assessment, and
- If applicable, a licensee must also be in good standing with the Office of The Attorney General’s Office for Child Support and with the TSBDE Compliance Department.
TSBDE recommends that licensees create an account via the Online Licensing System for renewing or maintaining a license.
Any questions or requests for a renewal form to be emailed should be directed to the Licensing Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have already created an account, Log on to your account, from the “Quick Start Menu” under “It’s Time to Renew” click on “Select” next to your DDS license number and proceed through the online renewal application. After submitting your application, a copy of your application summary and online payment receipt will be emailed to you. Note: License expiration dates are updated on the TSBDE website the next business day and can be verified in the Licensee Search.
If you searched your license and notice it was not updated the next business day, you may have one or more of the following deficiencies:
- Expired CPR – When asked whether you hold a current BLS CPR certification, you answered, “Yes” but provided information of an expired certification.
- Office of the Attorney General (OAG) Child Support hold
- Continuing Education (CE) Audit – You may have been selected to submit proof of the required number of continuing education hours. Please sign up https://portal.esslearning.com/tsbde
- Jurisprudence Assessment – For dentists and hygienists, the assessment is required once every four (4) years http://tsbde.texas.gov/licensing/jurisprudence-assessment/
- ACLS/PALS – Is required, if you hold a level 2-4 sedation permit. PALS is required for Level 2-4 permit holders who sedate children 13 years or younger.
- Dental Support Organization (DSO) Questionnaire – This questionnaire is required pursuant to Section 254.019 of the Dental Practice Act. https://goo.gl/forms/jnJxdOeui52fN5nu1
- You may have answered “Yes” to working for a corporation but did not submit the corporate address information
If you have not used the Online Licensing System, you will need to create an online account before you renew. You will need the following:
- An active email account,
- Your License Number,
- Your Social Security Number,
- Your Date of Birth, and
- Your Zip Code.
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! Allow sufficient time for delays if assistance is needed with the process!
Link to a list of Common Online Errors: Click here.
Having problems logging on/technical support: Click here. Allow 2-3 business days for a response and be sure to clearly explain the issue you are having.
If you have difficulty with making your processing your payment online contact Texas.gov (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) toll free at 1-800-399-2969.
If you are unable to renew online using the Online Licensing System, you may request that a paper renewal application be mailed to you here. Include in the subject line, “License Renewal.”
Please note that if you are due for license renewal and you are a dentist who holds at least a Nitrous Oxide, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, or Level 4 sedation permit you are required to take and pass the online jurisprudence examination of Chapter 110 (relating to Anesthesia and Sedation), administered by the Board or an entity designated by the Board once every five years.
Designation of Records
This form is to be used by the licensed Texas dentist to designate a custodian of records upon initial licensure and at each renewal period. Dental records are the sole property of the dentist who performs the dental service, unless otherwise designated per Board rules. Please provide the following information to appropriately designate ownership of records and appointment of a custodian, if necessary. Upon completion of the form, you may email it to email@example.com.
Dental Support Organization Questionnaire
You must complete the Dentist Support Organization Questionnaire prior to renewing your license. This questionnaire is required pursuant to Section 254.019 of the Dental Practice Act.
Address Template for the DSO Questionnaire
Please see below for the “DSO Questionnaire Address Form Template” for use in the DSO Questionnaire. You are welcome to download this spreadsheet, populate it with your information, and then upload that file to the DSO Questionnaire.