- Graduation from dental or dental hygiene school accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Successful completion of the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination.
- Successful completion of a regional dental hygiene clinical exam.
- Have practiced dentistry or dental hygiene:
- for a minimum of three (3) of the five (5) years immediately preceding application; or
- as a dental educator for the five (5) years immediately preceding application to Texas.
- Is currently licensed as a hygienist in good standing in another state, District of Columbia, or a territory of the United States.
- Have no disciplinary actions or felony convictions.
- Complete a Level II Background check completed by the Professional Background Information Service (PBIS). No Fingerprint Background Check is conducted when applying for Licensure by Credentials. If you held a Texas Dental License that has been canceled, contact the TSBDE before you complete the PBIS Background Check process.
- Proof of completion of 12 hours of CE in accordance with TSBDE Rule §104.1 taken within the preceding 12 months.
- Complete the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment within 12 months immediately prior to application.
- Complete 12 hours of Continuing Education (CE) taken within the preceding 12 months.
- Hold a current BLS CPR certification, must have hands on demonstration of skills.
Application & Supplemental Documents - Must be mailed to TSBDE
Completed Dental Hygiene Licensure Application and fee There is no application fee for military active duty, retirees, military active duty spouses.
- 1- 2×2 passport photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- Be sized correctly
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Proof of completion of 12 hours of CE in accordance with TSBDE Rule §104.2
- Letter issued by the PBIS stating your Level II Background Check for credentialing has been completed and has been sent to TSBDE.
- Certificate of completion of the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment taken within one year prior to application submission.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses may not apply online. Submit a paper application and select your method of licensure. All of the above supplemental documents are required along with a a copy of your Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Temporary Licensure by Credentials: May not apply online. Submit a paper application and select your method of licensure. All of the above supplemental documents are required. A temporary license requires the applicant to be employed by a non profit corporation that is organized under the Texas Nonprofit Corporation Act, and that accepts Medicaid reimbursement.
Please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing once the TSBDE has received a completed application. Incomplete applications will delay the process. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than 4 weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an approval letter via the U.S. mail advising you of the license activation process.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued. You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your prorated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later. Exception: Military applicants are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Register for a secure online account. If account exists, simply log-in.
- User ID (email) – use a personal email address (not assigned by college)
- Receive a temporary password from email@example.com
- Log-in with temporary password and choose a permanent password (write down the user id and password)
Be sure you have your license number before proceeding to the next step. If you have not received your approval letter in the mail, you may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
- From the Quick Start Menu, select ⇢ Update Profile →Add Licenses
- Complete the application; submit fees with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express. Application and payment summaries will be emailed to you along with the required fingerprint information session.
Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18- 30 months. A renewal postcard reminder will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 60 days prior to your license expiration date.
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.
Jurisprudence Assessment must be completed once every four years.