Dental Labs Registered with the TSBDE after September 1, 1987
A dental laboratory renewing a registration must provide proof that the designated Certified Dental Technician (CDT) has met the continuing education (CE) requirements of a recognized board of certification for dental technology. Continuing education hours may only be used for one renewal period.
Dental Labs Registered with the TSBDE before September 1, 1987
A dental laboratory renewing a registration that meets the criteria listed in items (1) through (4) below must submit proof that the designated employee has completed at least 12 hours of CE during the preceding 12-month period. In lieu of furnishing proof of CE, a dental lab may furnish proof that the designated dental technician has a current certification from a recognized board of certification for dental technology. Certification as “Retired” does not qualify the technician.
- the dental laboratory was registered with the TSBDE on September 1, 1987;
- the dental laboratory’s registration has been renewed each year and all registration fees have been paid;
- the beneficial ownership of at least 51% interest in the laboratory has not transferred; and
- the owner and/or the designated employee of the dental laboratory is employed on the premises of the laboratory for at least 30 hours per week.
CE hours may only be used for one renewal period.
Acceptable Continuing Education
Acceptable CE shall be comprised of business management, infection control, and technical competency courses presented in seminars or clinics as accepted by a recognized organization of dentistry or dental technology, subject to the following requirements:
Please be advised that your in-classroom setting CE hours can be completed as Live Interactive Webinars (you can ask and answer questions) through one of our board approved providers.
- The designated employee must complete at least one course in regulatory compliance annually. Examples include courses in Infection Control, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Federal Drug Administration (FDA), Texas Jurisprudence, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Ethics.
- No more than one course in business management may be applied toward the annual continuing education requirement.
- Self-study in a course approved by a recognized organization of dentistry or dental technology may be taken for not more than four (4) hours of the annual continuing education requirement.