An applicant must have completed a minimum of 8 hours of didactic education and testing in monitoring the administration of nitrous oxide taken through a CODA-accredited dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting program, approved by the TSBDE. The course taken to satisfy the requirements is valid for five (5) years from the date the course was completed for the purposes of registration.
Board Approved Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Courses
- Amarillo College
- Austin Community College
- Collin College
- Texas A&M University – Baylor College of Dentistry
- Dallas College
- El Paso Community College
- Grayson Community College
- Houston Community College – Coleman College of Health Sciences
- Lamar Institute of Technology (Dental Hygiene Students only)
- Lone Star College – Kingwood
- Midwestern State University (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- San Antonio College
- Tarrant County College
- PIMA Medical Institute (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- Texas State Technical College – Harlingen
- Texas Woman’s University (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- UTHealth Houston School of Dentistry
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Tyler Junior College
- Northeast Texas Community College
Please click on this link to navigate to the virtual system to begin.
- Login with User ID (email) and Password.
- From the Quick Start Menu → under, “Manage your license information” you will need to choose your application. Select from the drop down menu, “Add Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certificate” and then click on “SELECT” to be taken to the Introduction page to proceed.
- You will have the option to update your public address, home, and work addresses. Note: If you are applying using your military credentials, you must be able to provide a legible copy of the document to support the status. Incomplete submissions or documentation that is not legible will not be processed.
- Acceptable documentation for proof of course completion is any one of the courses listed above taken within the last five years.
- After you have entered your information and uploaded your documents, an application summary will be available for review.
- Upon submission of the application request, the application will be processed within 7-10 business days. A letter confirming the approval of the nitrous oxide monitoring will be reflected on your license.
- TSBDE no longer issues renewal certificates; you may then log back onto your online account and print your updated renewal certificate.
If you do not see your license/registration, click the link titled, “Add License to Registration,” on the left hand side of the page and follow the instructions. If you get an error message that reads, “Entity already exists under another user ID,” this means your license is associated with another log in or email address. Please follow this link, https://licsys.hpc.texas.gov/contact/, for assistance and in the subject line enter “ENTITY ALREADY EXISTS.” In the body of the email include: Full Name, Profession, License Number, and email address that you want your license(s) to be under.
If you are having trouble with the online system, you may download the form below and send it to the TSBDE along with the required documentation and payment for processing.
Application & Supporting Documents
Must be mailed to TSBDE at 1801 Congress Avenue, Suite 8.600, Austin, Texas 78701
- Completed application and fee. Active Duty Military, Veterans and Military Spouses are not required to pay an application fee.
- Copy of your board approved NOM course completion (see the approved list above).
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses applying using their military credentials along with all supporting documents are required to submit a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
An applicant must hold an active dental hygiene license or dental assistant registration prior to submitting an application for the nitrous oxide monitoring endorsement. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than four (4) weeks and you have not been contacted. Applications are processed in the order received. If you mailed in your application and fee, your payment will be processed before your application is reviewed. The estimated processing turnaround time is 3-4 weeks. Applicants with a criminal history or disciplinary action may expect a longer processing time.
Once the application has been approved, an approval letter will be sent confirming the endorsement on your license. At that time, you may then visit the “Print E-Certificate” option to print an updated renewal. The Nitrous Oxide Monitoring approval will be located on the bottom left side of the renewal.
Notification of Work Address or Changes of Address
A licensee is required to notify the TSBDE of any change of address within 60 days. This includes a work address or mailing Address. Click here for more information.