An applicant must have completed a minimum of 8 hours of didactic education and testing in monitoring the administration of nitrous oxide taken through a CODA-accredited dental, dental hygiene or dental assisting program, approved by the TSBDE. The course taken to satisfy the requirements is valid for five (5) years from the date the course was completed for the purposes of registration.
Board Approved Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Courses
- Amarillo College
- Austin Community College
- Collin College
- Texas A&M University – Baylor College of Dentistry
- Dallas College
- El Paso Community College
- Grayson Community College
- Houston Community College – Coleman College of Health Sciences
- Lamar Institute of Technology (Dental Hygiene Students only)
- Lone Star College – Kingwood
- Midwestern State University (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- San Antonio College
- Tarrant County College
- PIMA Medical Institute (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- Texas State Technical College – Harlingen
- Texas Woman’s University (Dental Hygiene Students Only)
- University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Tyler Junior College
- Northeast Texas Community College
Application & Supporting Documents
Must be mailed to TSBDE at 1801 Congress Avenue, Suite 8.600, Austin, Texas 78701
- Completed application and fee. Active Duty Military, Veterans and Military Spouses are not required to pay an application fee.
- 1- 2×2 passport photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- Be sized correctly.
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Copy of your board approved NOM course completion (see the approved list above).
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query Report. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You may contact the NPDB at (800) 767-6732 or at: http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses applying using their military credentials along with all supporting documents are required to submit a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Application for Dental Hygienists AND Registered Dental Assistants:
Download Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Form
An applicant must hold an active dental hygiene license or dental assistant registration prior to submitting an application for the nitrous oxide monitoring endorsement. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than four (4) weeks and you have not been contacted. Applications are processed in the order received. If you mailed in your application and fee, your payment will be processed before your application is reviewed. The estimated processing turnaround time is 3-4 weeks. Applicants with a criminal history or disciplinary action may expect a longer processing time.
Once the application has been approved, an approval letter will be sent confirming the endorsement on your license. At that time, you may then visit the “Print E-Certificate” option to print an updated renewal. The Nitrous Oxide Monitoring approval will be located on the bottom left side of the renewal.
If you change your address after submitting your application, email the Licensing division at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately and provide your full name, the type of application you mailed to the TSBDE, the last four (4) numbers of your Social Security Number along with your new mailing address.
You may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
Notification of Work Address or Changes of Address
A licensee is required to notify the TSBDE of any change of address within 60 days. This includes a work address or mailing Address. Click here for more information.