A dentist licensed in Texas shall obtain an anesthesia permit issued by the TSBDE for the following procedures used for the purpose of performing dentistry:
- Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Inhalation Sedation
- Level 1: Minimal Sedation
- Level 2: Moderate Enteral Sedation
- Level 3: Moderate Parenteral Sedation
- Level 4: Deep Sedation or General Anesthesia
An applicant for a sedation/anesthesia permit must be licensed and should be in good standing with the TSBDE. “Good Standing” means that the dentist’s license is not suspended, whether or not the suspension is probated.
Questions regarding anesthesia permits for dentists can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is required to be mailed to the TSBDE:
- Anesthesia Permit Application.
- Pay required fee.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support CPR card and PALS or ACLS certification.
- Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Inhalation Sedation – Basic Life Support only
- Level 1: Minimal Sedation – Basic Life Support
- Sedation Level 2, 3 & 4 – Basic Life Support and ACLS or PALS if treating adults and children 13 years of age or older (Note: PALS is required if treating children under the age of 13 years old).
- Proof of completion of a qualifying course and case management experience. Training and case management experience is found on each application. SeeTSBDE Rules and Regulations, Chapter 110 and/or the application for specific training requirements.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. NPDB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. If you are applying for more than one level of sedation, in one mailing, you may submit one NPDB Self-Query Report which will apply towards all levels of sedation. If you are applying for sedation privileges on separate dates you must submit a NPDB Self-Query report with each anesthesia permit application. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
Inspection of Sedation/Anesthesia Providers: Pursuant to 22 Tex. Admin. Code § 110.18, all level 2, 3, and 4 permit holders who received their initial permit after March 1, 2018, must be inspected within a year of receiving their permit.