- Graduated and received either the “DDS” or “DMD” degree from a dental school accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Is currently licensed as a dentist in good standing in another state, District of Columbia, or a territory of the United States provided that such licensure followed a successful completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by another state or regional examining board
- Has practiced dentistry:
- for a minimum of three (3) of the five (5) years immediately preceding application; or
- as a dental educator at a CODA-accredited dental school for the five (5) years immediately preceding application to Texas.
- Successful completion of National Boards Parts I and II or the INBDE.
- Have no disciplinary actions or felony convictions.
- Complete the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment within 12 months immediately prior to application submission.
- Complete 12 hours of Continuing Education (CE) taken within the preceding 12 months. All hours taken must be in accordance with Chapter 104.
- Hold a current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification.
- Beginning October 1, 2021, applicants applying for licensure or registration with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE) must complete a course in human trafficking prevention approved by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and submit proof of completion with their application. This will be in addition to all required documentation that needs to be submitted to the TSBDE. For information on where to find approved courses, please click here.
Application & Supplemental Documents
Must be mailed to TSBDE
- Fully completed Dental Licensure Application and fee. There is no application fee for military active duty, retirees, and military active duty spouses.
- 1- 2×2 passport photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- Be sized correctly
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Proof of completion of 12 hours of CE in accordance with TSBDE Rule §104.2;
- At least 8 hours of coursework must be either technical or scientific as related to clinical care,
- Up to 4 hours of coursework may be in risk-management courses,
- Up to 4 hours of coursework may be self-study.
- Certificate of completion of the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment for dentists without sedation taken within one year prior to application submission.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- Proof of clinical practice is required. Submit a completed clinical practice affidavit form. This form cannot be completed by the applicant. You may download the Clinical Affidavit Form by clicking here: Clinical Affidavit.
- A verification of licensure which includes all disciplinary action, if any, with imprint of state seal issued from a state board of dentistry from each state, US territory, or international jurisdiction in which the applicant has ever held a license to practice dentistry. A copy of the license alone is not acceptable. The verification of licensure must be received in its original sealed envelope.
- American Association of Dental Board (AADB) self-query report. Report results must remain in the original sealed envelope. Contact AADB at (312) 440-7464, or at www.dentalboards.org.
- Upon receipt of a completed application, staff will email the applicant the required fingerprint information. This information is required in order for the applicant to schedule a fingerprint session with IdentoGO.
- Proof of completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by another state or regional examining board.
- Official transcript showing proof of graduation from CODA-accredited dental or dental hygiene school. Official transcript must be sealed and unopened.
- Proof of successful completion of National Boards Parts I and II or the INBDE. TSBDE staff will electronically validate scores that have been made available to Texas.
- Proof of the Health and Human Services (HHS) approved Human Trafficking Course completion certificate.
Please note that you MUST self report your previously issued dental assistant registration even if it was issued by TSBDE. Failure to do so will result in licensure processing delays.
If the RDA registration has been canceled, you MUST answer, “Yes” on the license history question #2 on the application and submit a signed and notarized affidavit explained in detail. Failure to disclose any of the requested information may result in the denial of your application or other appropriate action.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses may not apply online. Submit a paper application and select your method of licensure. All of the above supplemental documents are required along with a copy of your Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Temporary Licensure by Credentials: May not apply online. Submit a paper application and select your method of licensure. All of the above supplemental documents are required. A temporary license requires the applicant to be employed by a non profit corporation that is organized under the Texas Nonprofit Corporation Act, and that accepts Medicaid reimbursement.
Please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing once the TSBDE has received a completed application. Incomplete applications will delay the process. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than 4 weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an approval letter via the U.S. mail advising you of the license activation process.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued. You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your prorated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later. Exception: Military applicants are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Register for a secure online account. If account exists, simply log-in.
- User ID (email) – use a personal email address (not assigned by college)
- Receive a temporary password from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Log-in with temporary password and choose a permanent password (write down the user id and password)
Be sure you have your license number before proceeding to the next step. If you have not received your approval letter in the mail, you may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
- From the Quick Start Menu, select ⇢ Update Profile →Add Licenses
- Complete the application; submit fees with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express. Application and payment summaries will be emailed to you along with the required fingerprint information session.
Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18- 30 months. A renewal postcard reminder will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 60 days prior to your license expiration date.
Designation of Records
This form is to be used by the licensed Texas dentist to designate a custodian of records upon initial licensure and at each renewal period. Dental records are the sole property of the dentist who performs the dental service, unless otherwise designated per Board rules. Please provide the following information to appropriately designate ownership of records and appointment of a custodian, if necessary. Upon completion of the form, you may email it to email@example.com.
- Anesthesia Permits. Dentists must be issued a Texas Dental License before an Application for an Anesthesia Permit can be processed.
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.