SBDE will issue a license to a dental school faculty member that provides direct patient care, upon payment of a fee in an amount set by the Board, who meets all the following criteria:
- Holds a degree from a dental school;
- Holds a full-time or part-time salaried faculty position at a dental or dental hygiene school accredited by the Commision on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association;
- Obtains endorsement of the application from the Dean, Department Chair, or Program Director of the employer-school
Application & Supplemental Documents
Must be mailed to TSBDE
- The Dentist Faculty Member Application and fee
- Diploma from a dental school.
- Endorsement from the Dean, Department Chair or Program Director of the employer-school verifying full-time or part-time salaried faculty position at a CODA-accredited dental school.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- American Association of Dental Boards (AADB) Clearinghouse Self-Query. Applicants are required to complete a self-query of the AADB Clearinghouse. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. The AADB self-query form can be downloaded from the AADB website at http://dentalboards.org/clearinghouse/. The AADB self-query form should be mailed to: American Association of Dental Boards, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 760, Chicago, IL 60611.
- Completion of the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment dated within one year immediately prior to application for licensure.
- Proof of current Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification, must be hands on demonstration of skills.
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses are required to submit a paper application along with the above supplemental documents. Applicants are also required to submit a copy of Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing once the TSBDE has received a completed application. Incomplete applications will delay the process. Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than 4 weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an approval letter via the U.S. mail advising you of the license activation process.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued. You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your prorated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later. Exception: Military applicants are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Register for a secure online account. If account exists, simply log-in.
- User ID (email) – use a personal email address (not assigned by college)
- Receive a temporary password from email@example.com
- Log-in with temporary password and choose a permanent password (write down the user id and password)
Be sure you have your license number before proceeding to the next step. If you have not received your approval letter in the mail, you may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
- From the Quick Start Menu, select ⇢ Update Profile →Add Licenses
- Complete the application; submit fees with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express. Application and payment summaries will be emailed to you along with the required fingerprint information session.
Your first license may be valid anywhere between 18- 30 months. A renewal postcard reminder will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 60 days prior to your license expiration date.
Designation of Records
This form is to be used by the licensed Texas dentist to designate a custodian of records upon initial licensure and at each renewal period. Dental records are the sole property of the dentist who performs the dental service, unless otherwise designated per Board rules. Please provide the following information to appropriately designate ownership of records and appointment of a custodian, if necessary. Upon completion of the form, you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anesthesia Permits. Dentists must be issued a Texas Dental License before an Application for an Anesthesia Permit can be processed.
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- Continuing Education. New licensees are exempt from completing CE during their first licensure period. After the first license is renewed licensees should begin collecting CE.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.
- Foreign Language Documents. All documents issued in a foreign language must be translated to English.