Hygienist Continuing Education Requirements
All Texas licensees holding and active license to practice in Texas must biennially collect a minimum of twenty-four hours of appropriate continuing education, as required by the Occupations Code at Section 257.005, and the TSBDE Rules and Regulations at Chapter 104 after your first biennial renewal and before each subsequent renewal. You are not required to collect continuing education hours before your first biennial renewal.
The following conditions and restrictions shall apply (As per TSBDE Rule 104.1):
- At least 16 hours of coursework must be either technical or scientific as related to clinical care. The terms “technical” and “scientific” as applied to continuing education shall mean that courses have significant intellectual or practical content and are designed to directly enhance the practitioner’s knowledge and skill in providing clinical care to the individual patient.
- Up to 8 hours of coursework may be in risk-management courses. Acceptable “risk management” courses include courses in risk management, record-keeping, and ethics.
- Up to 8 hours of coursework may be self-study. These self-study hours must be provided by those entities cited in §104.2 of this title (relating to Providers). Examples of self-study courses include correspondence courses, video courses, audio courses, and reading courses.
- Hours of coursework in the standards of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) or in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) may not be considered in the 24-hour requirement.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) training may be used towards continuing education hours.
- Hours of coursework in practice finance may not be considered in the 24-hour requirement.
- Each licensee shall complete the jurisprudence assessment every four (4) years. This requirement is in addition to the twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education required biennially for the renewal of a license. Completion of the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment may not be considered in the 24-hour requirement.
CE Carried Forward or Banked CE
Extra hours, not to exceed 24 hours, earned in a classroom or lecture format and within the one year immediately preceding the renewal period may be carried forward. A maximum of 24 total excess credit hours may be carried forward.
Attesting to Completing CE and Sending Proof of Completion of CE
All licensees are asked to sign an attestation at the time of license renewal that indicates the minimum continuing education hours have been obtained. Licensees should not send proof of continuing education hours unless specifically asked to do so. Approximately 5% of license renewals each month are selected for random audit.
Licensees not complying with CE requirements will not be eligible for license renewal until appropriate hours are obtained.