Reinstate a Retired Hygienist License
The TSBDE may reinstate a retired Texas dental hygiene license to active status, provided the license holder submits an Application for Reinstatement of a Retired License and pays the appropriate fees due at the time of application.
The following documents must be completed and mailed to the TSBDE:
- Reinstatement of a Retired License Application.
- Required application fee. Military Active Duty, Veterans and Military Active Duty Spouses do not pay an application fee.
- Verification of licensure and disciplinary action history from all state board(s) of dentistry where the licensee has held a license.
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query. All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. NPDB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
- American Association of Dental Boards (AADB) Clearinghouse Self-Query. Applicants are required to complete a self-query of the AADB Clearinghouse. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE. AADB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. The AADB self-query form can be downloaded from the AADB website at http://dentalboards.org/clearinghouse/. The AADB self-query form should be mailed to: American Association of Dental Boards, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 760, Chicago, IL 60611.
- Jurisprudence Assessment Certificate of Completion dated within the last 12 months.
- Proof of completion of Continuing Education (CE) in accordance with TSBDE Rule 104.1:
- 12 hours for applicants who have practiced in the last two years.
- 24 hours for applicants who have not practiced within the last two years.
- Copy of Basic Life Support CPR Card.
- Military, Veterans and Spouses: Copy of Military Change of Station Orders or I.D. Card or Document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Initial Renewal (License Activation) Process
2-Step Application and Payment Process
- The status of your license will be Expired after it is first issued.
- You will receive a letter in the mail with instructions for paying your pro-rated initial renewal (activation) fee online. This fee will activate your license and change the status to Active. This letter will authorize you to practice for 30 days. Once you pay your fee online you should receive your new license in the mail approximately 7-10 days later.
- Exception: Active duty military, veterans and active duty military spouses are not required to pay to activate their license. The license will be issued and mailed to the applicant after the application has been approved.
- Your first license may be valid anywhere between 6 months to 17 months. A reminder post card will be mailed to the mailing address on file with the TSBDE approximately 45 days prior to your license expiration date
- Change of Address. Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
- Continuing Education. New licensees are exempt from completing CE during their first licensure period. After the first license is renewed licensees should begin collecting CE.
- CPR Requirement. CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.