A dental assistant may not position or expose dental x-rays unless the dental assistant holds a dental assistant radiology certificate issued by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.
To be eligible for a certificate under this section, an applicant must have;
- Paid all application, examination, and licensing fees
- Have graduated from an accredited high school or hold a certificate of high school equivalency, General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Submit fingerprints for the retrieval of criminal history record information
- Have successfully completed a current hands-on course in basic life support (BLS), and
- Have taken and passed a course of instruction and an examination administered by an approved TSBDE provider, or
- Hold a current certificate from the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and have taken and passed the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment within one year from the date the application is submitted.
Which of the following statements apply to you?
- I have made x-rays while working as a dental assistant in Texas or in another state. If this applies to you, you must take an RDA Course given by a TSBDE-approved RDA Course Provider then register with the TSBDE. Once you hold a TSBDE RDA Certificate and display your certificate where you work you may begin making x-rays. The TSBDE does not recognize a RDA Certificate issued by another state.
- I have never made x-rays while working as a dental assistant. Select the one that applies to you:
- Under the direct supervision of a Texas licensed dentist, you may legally make x-rays for one year from the date you begin your employment as a dental assistant. Before this first year of employment ends you will need to take and pass a RDA Course given by a TSBDE-approved RDA Course Provider then register with the TSBDE to continue making x-rays.
- Before you begin employment as a dental assistant you may take and pass an RDA Course given by a TSBDE-approved RDA Course Provider then register with the TSBDE. Once you hold a TSBDE RDA Certificate and display your certificate where you work you may begin making x-rays.
- I have never worked as a dental assistant and never made x-rays in Texas or any other state. If this applies to you, you must take an RDA course given by a TSBDE-approved RDA Course Provider then register with the TSBDE. Once you hold a TSBDE RDA Certificate and display your certificate where you work you may begin making x-rays.
- I earned a Certificate of Completion at a Dental Assisting School in Texas or another state. If this applies to you, you must take an RDA course given by a TSBDE-approved RDA Course Provider then register with the TSBDE. The TSBDE does not recognize an x-ray certificate issued by another state board. Once you hold a TSBDE RDA Certificate and display your certificate where you work you may begin making x-rays.
- I hold a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Card issued by the Dental Assistant National Board (DANB). If you are currently paying an annual renewal fee for this credential and completing twelve (12) Continuing Dental Education credits to maintain your DANB CDA Card you must take the online TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment for DANB CDAs then apply for the RDA Certificate with the TSBDE.
Online Application Instructions
- Register for a secure online account. If account exists, simply log-in.
- User ID (email) – use a personal email address (not assigned by college)
- Receive a temporary password from email@example.com
- Log-in with temporary password and choose a permanent password (write down the user id and password)
- From the Quick Start Menu, Under Start a New Application ⇢ Choose Board → Texas State Board of Dental Examiners → Choose Application →Initial Dental Assistant by Exam from the left hand side of page.
- Complete the application; submit fees with MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express.
- Application and payment summaries will be emailed to you along with the required fingerprint information session.
Military Applicants: U.S. Military Active Duty, Veterans, and U.S. Military Active Duty Spouses applying using their military credentials may not apply online. A paper application is required since no application fee is charged. All supplemental documents are required along with a copy of your Military Change of Station Orders, Identification Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
Application & Supporting Documents- Must be mailed to TSBDE at 333 Guadalupe Street, Tower 3 Suite 800, Austin, Texas 78701 to complete your registration:
Copy of your online application and payment summary receipt. If you applying by using your military credentials, you will need to submit a paper application. Do not apply online, you will only further delay your processing time.
- 1- 2×2 passport photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Use a plain white or off-white background.
- Be sized correctly
- Copy of driver’s license, naturalization papers, or passport.
- Copy of current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification, must include hands on demonstration of skills.
- Proof of successful completion of a TSBDE-approved dental assistant registration course. If the RDA course/exam was taken over a year from the date of submitting your application, you will need to take and successfully pass the Texas Jurisprudence Assessment from the board’s website or a copy of your current DANB CDA Card. If you are submitting a DANB card, please note you are also required to complete the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment.
- Copy of your receipt from IdentoGO
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query Report. The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application. NPDB self-query reports are valid for 60 days. You may contact the NPDB at (800) 767-6732 or at http://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/pract/howToGetStarted.jsp.
For applicants who have held a license in another state/jurisdiction: A verification of licensure with imprint of state seal issued from the state board of dentistry in which the applicant has ever held a Dental Assistant permit/registration. A copy of the permit or registration is not acceptable.
If you are unable to apply online, you will need to download the RDA application below and have it notarized prior to submitting it to TSBDE along with the required supporting documents above.
Once the completed application has been received, staff will email the instructions on scheduling a fingerprint session with IdentoGO. Once the applicant has completed their fingerprint session, the applicant will need to email a copy of their fingerprint receipt to Licensinghelp@tsbde.texas.gov and include their full name and date of birth.
Please note: October 2020 is the most current version of the paper application. No other applications will be accepted. Submitting an outdated application will only delay the process.
Please do not contact the Licensing Division to check the status of your application unless it has been longer than four (4) weeks and you have not been contacted via mail. Applications are processed in the order received. If you mailed in your application and fee, your payment will be processed before your application is reviewed. The estimated processing turnaround time is 3-4 weeks. Applicants with a criminal history or disciplinary action may expect a longer processing time.
An incomplete application will delay your process and will be returned to the applicant. It will not be processed until all items have been received, with the only exception being the fingerprint receipt. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to ensure no required documents have expired during this process.
If you change your address after submitting your application, email the Licensing division at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately and provide your full name, the type of application you mailed to the TSBDE, the last four (4) numbers of your Social Security Number along with your new mailing address.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive your RDA certificate in the mail. Please allow 7-10 business days to receive your certificate from the date your application was approved.
Your first registration may be valid between 18-30 months. After you renew your registration it will be valid for two (2) years on your birth month.
You may also verify your license from the board’s website under Search Licensees.
Notification of Work Address or Changes of Address
- A licensee is required to notify the TSBDE of any change of address within 60 days. This includes a work address or mailing Address. Changes may be emailed to the Licensing division at email@example.com. Provide your full name, license or registration type, the last four (4) numbers of your Social Security Number, and your new mailing address.
- You may also alternatively mail your new information to the TSBDE using the Change of Address Form.